10 Miracle Herbs to Guard Your Health Better.
People usually understand herbs as small plants that have a lifespan of 1 to 2 years. But many large trees are also considered herbs or medicinal plants.
Herbs are used for several purposes and categorized accordingly. There are culinary herbs, medicinal herbs, spiritual herbs, etc.
|Miracle herbs that can protect your health.|
Apart from leaves, herbs include other parts of a plant, such as roots, flowers, seeds, bark, resin, etc (although, they are often categorized as spices).
List Of the 10 Amazing Medicinal Herbs
- Aloe Vera
- Gotu kola
🌿1. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a widely used evergreen plant. It is a succulent plant species from the genus Aloe. It is a perennial plant and originates from the Arabian Peninsula.
Aloe vera grows in tropical, semi-tropical, and arid climates around the world.
Aloe Vera products are available in various forms. Such as-
- skin lotion
- and gel.
Usually, Aloe vera is a stemless plant, but you'll see some short-stemmed Aloe vera too.
The leaves are green or grey-green, thick with flesh. Aloe vera leaf contains slimy tissues that can store water. Alovera products are mostly made from these tissues in gel form.
Some species have white flecks on their stem surfaces. The edge of the leaf has small white teeth.
The skin of each leaf contains latex.
The essential component of latex is aloin, which has a laxative effect.
The flowers are produced in summer. Each flower being pendulous, with a yellow tubular corolla.
Aloe vera leaves contain antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, water, and amino acids. The leaves contain phytochemicals for potential bioactivities, such as-
- acetylated mannans
- anthraquinone C-glycosides
- Prevent Infections
Although there is a lack of evidence of the effects of aloe vera on diabetes, it is often used for managing the insulin levels in the bloodstream.
- May Reduce Blood Sugar Levels
A trial on 470 patients (on an equal number of prediabetic and type 2 diabetic conditions) suggests some potential benefits of Aloe Vera to improve glycaemic control in prediabetes and type 2 diabetes.
- Skin Disease and Wound Healing
- Oral Disease
Several studies show the excellent benefits of aloe vera-made mouthwash for reducing plaque.
Limitations of Aloe vera
- Overuse of aloe latex may increase the risk of adverse effects, such as heart problems, abdominal pain, and cramps.
- During pregnancy and breastfeeding, the oral intake of aloe vera (both in gel and latex) may not be safe.
Neem (Azadirachta indica), aka Indian lilac, is a tree in the mahogany family Meliaceae. It is one of two species in the genus Azadirachta.
Neem is native to the Indian subcontinent. It grows in tropical and semi-tropical regions. Neem trees also grow in some parts of Iran.
Use of Neem as food
Countries like India, Bangladesh, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam use neem flowers, buds, leaves, and fresh fruits to prepare healthy dishes.
In Bangladesh and Eastern India, neem-begun bhaja (fried neem with brinjal) is a widely used dish in summer.
The tender shoots are eaten as a vegetable in India.
Veppampoo Charu (neem flower rasam) is a south Indian soup.
The other Popular dishes include-
- Sau dau-Vietnam
- Tamar- Myanmar
Use of Neem as Herbal Medicines
Neem is known as the ''wonder herb''.
Neem is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.
- Antioxidants are substances that may protect cells from the damage caused by unstable molecules,s known as free radicals. Free radicals damage may lead to several diseases, even cancer.
- Neem has antimicrobial effects and can be effective against a variety of bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
- Neem is considered a blood purifier.
- It is useful for preventing and healing diseases related to skin and hair. Neem is commonly used for the treatment of acne and dandruff in Ayurveda.
- Neem fights against viruses and bacteria-borne diseases.
- Neem oil is used as an insect repellent. It is effective against sand flies and mosquitoes.
- Neem is used to support key organs, like the heart. Liver and kidney.
Limitations of Neem
Although the herb has numerous benefits, it has some limitations that you shouldn't overlook.
- No specific doses have been established yet. Overconsumption of Neem may cause some forms of toxicity, such as encephalopathy and ophthalmopathy.
- Not enough research has been done to evaluate all the benefits of neem as claimed.
- Lack of high-quality clinical evidence to indicate the use of neem for any medical purpose.
- During pregnancy and best feeding, women should avoid neem.
🌿3. Tulsi- Holy Basil [Ocimum sanctum]
Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum), aka holy basil, is an aromatic perennial plant in the family Lamiaceae.
It is native to the Indian subcontinent but widely cultivated in the tropical regions of Southeast Asia.
Usually, tulsi leaves and flowers are used to produce herbal medicine in Ayurveda.
Apart from religious reasons, Tulsi is cultivated for extracting essential oil and for making traditional medicine. In Ayurveda, It is widely used as a herbal tea.
The use of Tulsi in Ayurveda is widespread. Tulsi is revered as "Mother Medicine of Nature" and"Queen of Herbs"
Furthermore, Tulsi is known as ''Nectar of Life''.
Holi Basil acts as a powerful tonic for the body, mind, and soul.
In India, basil is used as an ingredient in spiritual rituals and daily health maintenance. This is why Tulsi is cultivated in many homes. Tulsi is also widely used in Siddha medicines.
Tulsi contains Chlorophyll, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, and zinc.
Tulsi can protect organs and tissues against chemical stress from industrial pollutants and heavy metals. It can also protect against prolonged physical exertions.
There is ample evidence that basil can cope with physical, chemical, metabolic, and psychological stresses.
Basil has higher phenolic content and antioxidant properties. As a result, it helps to keep the internal organs of the body free from toxins.
A clinical study of 50 adults (30 males, and 20 females) found that using a 500 mg capsule twice daily kept the body toxin-free and stress-free.
Basil also helps prevent cancer caused by toxic compounds by reducing DNA damage.
- urinary tract infections
- skin infections,
- wound infections
- various types of pneumonia
- fungal infections
- cold and fever
- and many more.
You might be interested in reading about the use and benefits of Gymnema Sylvestre, the sugar destroyer vine.
Limitations of Tulsi
🌿4. Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera)
- alkaloids, such as isopelletierine, anaferine, cuseohygrine, anhydride, etc.
- steroidal lactones, such as withanolides, withaferins
Health benefits of Ashwagandha
🌿5. Gotu kola (Centella Asiatica)
Health Benefits of Gotu cola
- high blood pressure
- for memory intensification
- for revitalizing the cells of nerves and the brain
- for reducing anxiety and depression
- to improve blood circulation and for preventing circulatory-related diseases, such as varicose veins and hemorrhoids.
- for boosting longevity.
Limitations/Restrictions of Gotu Kola:
- Pregnant and best-feeding women, children, and patients with symptoms of liver disease shouldn't use it.
- Insufficient Research.
🌿6. Mint (Mentha Longifolia)
For making Touareg tea (a popular tea in northern African and Arabian countries), Mint is an essential ingredient.
Health Benefits of Mint
- Mint essential oil and menthol are extensively used as flavorings in breath fresheners, drinks, antiseptic mouth rinses, toothpaste, chewing gum, desserts, and candies.
- Menthol is an essential ingredient of many cosmetics and some perfumes. Menthol and mint essential oil are used in aromatherapy to relieve post-surgery nausea.
- There are several uses of Mint leaves in traditional medicines. Mint was originally used as a medicinal herb to treat stomach aches and chest pains. It is also used in treating irritable bowel syndrome.
- Mint tea is good for digestion. To prevent indigestion, Ayurvedic doctors recommend some mentha-based herbal medicine.
Limitations of Mint
- Herb of Grace
- Herpestes Monniera
- Indian Pennywort
- Thyme-Leave Gratiola
Health benefits of Brahmi
- Brahmi contains powerful antioxidants that can neutralize free radicals.
- It has an anti-inflammatory property, so it can reduce inflammation.
- Bacopa Monnieri extract has many antioxidants, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. So, it is useful for skin and hair care.
- Brahmi can improve brain function. Research suggests that it can improve the speed of visual information processing.
- Extracts of Brahmi is effective in preventing and reducing anxiety and depression.
- Brahmi can reduce certain types of pain including joint pain, and muscle pain.
🌿8. Amla(Emblica Officinalis)
Health Benefits of Amla
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Joint pain
LimitationS of Amla
- Pregnant and best feeding women, the disease should avoid the oral intake of Amla.
- Diabetic patients under medication should be careful while using it, as it may lower blood sugar levels.
- Insufficient research and lack of evidence in support of most reported health benefits.
Health Benefits of Garlic:
- Immunity booster- The nutrients and antioxidants present in garlic can fight against cold and flu. Eating garlic is a natural way to boost immunity.
- Anti- Inflammatory- Garlic oil acts works as an anti-inflammatory. It is helpful to prevent cartilage damage.
- Effective in Cardiovascular disorder- Allicin is an essential compound of garlic that can regulate blood cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Skincare -Antibacterial and antioxidant properties help keep your skin bacteria-free. Rubbing raw garlic over pimples helps to remove them.
Limitations of Garlic:
- If you have symptoms of allergy and asthma, avoid the consumption of garlic.
- Sometimes, consumption of garlic may cause adverse symptoms, dizziness, fatigue, headache, muscle aches, or allergic reaction. Be sure to consult your doctor before consuming garlic as a supplement.
Turmeric (Haldi/Haridra)is widely used in cooking and in Ayurveda for thousands of years.
It is a rhizomatous, herbaceous plant native to the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia. The rhizomes are used fresh or boiled in water then dried. The dried rhizomes are ground to make the orange-yellow powder.
The turmeric plant produced curcumin, a yellow chemical that's used as a food additive.
Health Benefits of Garlic
- Anti Cancer
- Anti-inflamatory & Anti-aging Effects
- Alzheimer's disease
- Cardio Vascular Effective
- Gastric Ulcer
- Dental Treatment
Limitation of turmeric:
- Although pure turmeric is safe, in some cases, it is found that commercial turmeric used harmful fillers. So quality is questionable for unlabelled and unbranded turmeric.
- Some turmeric may contain a high amount of lead and heavy metals that are harmful to your health.
- Content published on https://www.edumediawellness.com is intended to be used and must be used for informational purposes only.
- It is important to do your own analysis before making any decision based on your own personal circumstances.
- You should take independent medical advice from professional or independent research and verify any information that you find on our Website and wish to rely upon.